Friday 16 September 2011

How can I stop my pc from giving me an option of 2 operating systems after I removed 1?

Hi there, I have Windows xp installed on one internal HDD and I recently installed Windows 7 as well, I removed Windows 7 this week simply by wiping my 2nd HDD but the boot screen still asks me to choose either windows 7 or an earlier version of windows. How do I correct this? I have looked at my boot.ini but can't workout the right configuration to use. can someone provide a standard xp single operating system boot.ini template for me to attempt? Or do I need to change the bootcfg via cmd line? Any tips would be a big help. Thanks



Antony
How can I stop my pc from giving me an option of 2 operating systems after I removed 1?
you can remove the other older windows by booting your drive
How can I stop my pc from giving me an option of 2 operating systems after I removed 1?
Right click on 'my computer'. Choose 'properties'.



Select the 'advanced' tab. Click 'settings' under 'startup and recovery'.



You can either change the 'time to display list of operating systems' to 0 or click the 'edit' button to edit boot.ini.



If you edit boot.ini, just delete the line under [operating systems] that corresponds to the OS that is no longer installed.



Either way, make SURE the default OS selected is the correct one.
Formatt your system and re-install XP.