Friday 16 September 2011

How do I do basic things in linux, like access my jump drive?

I'm a noob to linux. I just installed Slaxware 11 on my computer. It is currently set up to dual boot slaxware or Windows XP. For one, I want to add a line to my BOOT.ini or my autoexec.bat file to let me load windows or linux. I need for a good guide to help start me off. I don't know how to access anything on my jump drive. My other windows partition has been mounted, but I can't change any files on it. Windows boots by default, and I have to use my slaxware install disc to boot linux. My linux partition is located at /dev/sda3 . Here is my BOOT.ini file-



[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti鈥?br>
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WI鈥?XP Media Center Edition%26quot; /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT=%26quot;Microsoft Windows Recovery Console%26quot; /cmdcons



Maybe add a line something like



multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)=%26quot;S鈥?11.0%26quot;



Would it be fine to modify the autoexec.bat? It's blank right now.
How do I do basic things in linux, like access my jump drive?
If you are a noob to GNU/Linux, I highly recommend using another distribution other than Slackware. Slack is a great distro, but not noobie friendly.



Go with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Mandriva, Debian, PCLinuxOS, Fedora Core, or another %26quot;mainstream consumer%26quot; distro. All the stuff you need is usually configured for you.