Friday 16 September 2011

My other computer wont boot at all?

I tried to take Linux off the dual booting system as I had uninstalled it off my pc. Now even windows wont boot up and I can't use the computer. I have Windows XP.



This is what I did to remove Linux



1. Right click on My computer,

2. Go to Properties.

3. Click on Advanced Tab.

4. Click on Settings under Startup and recovery

5. Click on Edit.

6. On boot.ini file that opens, delete the line corresponding to Ubuntu.

7. Close notepad and confirm Yes to save the changes.

8. Restart the computer.



What have I done wrong, and how can I now get it to boot??
My other computer wont boot at all?
Are you that's the bootloader?...



If you've installed Linux after XP the it should have installed it's own bootloader, GRUB, which I think you've deleted it.



If you say you were using the ntloader, than nothing should've gone wrong.



Try to load the XP recovery console from the CD... browse through the commands using the help command and look for some tools to reset / fix your bootloader. I can't be more specific because I haven't had that Issue in a few years now... but that's how I fixed it back then.



Edit: good that you add that info.



If you have one option, it will discard the option field. This means default=multi... should be the same as in the [operating systems] entry.



See below, if I would remove partition(2) from [operating systems] I would also have to change the default= to partition(1), exactly as the option but without =%26quot;Windows XP Professional%26quot; /fastdetect part.



[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)d...k(0)partition(2)\W鈥?br>
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WI鈥?XP Professional%26quot; /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WI鈥?2000 Professional%26quot; /fastdetect



Just use a WinPE or boot of the DVD Ubuntu and edit that boot.ini file properly.



Hope this helps..
My other computer wont boot at all?
Safe mode an option here ?



My trick would be a copy of Hirens Boot CD, or pop in your XP disc, and start up. Go thru the installation options until you get the %26quot;R for repair%26quot; option.



With the same CD, you can make the linux partition ntfs/fat32 again. In future, stick to running linux from a cd instead of installing...



Good Luck !
You simply had windows xp? Give me a break...
No idea about the Linux side, but you probably need to get an XP disc and boot from that; hopefully you either got one with the pc or have a version u used to install xp. U can use the same Key as before.
Just a guess



But I bet your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) has failed



Try and do a Windows reinstall



Did that work? Yes - your good to go



No - Your computer has a Hardware issue possibly a HDD Failure.



Contact a service agent