Friday 16 September 2011

Replacing a hard drive ?

I have a computer with two hard drives,1st hdd has xp installed and 2nd one has windows vista. So when ever I boot I get the option to choose xp or vista (dual boot).I removed the HDD that has the vista and I still get the dual boot menu (boo.ini) still thinks that vista is there

i would like to change that so I do not get the menu (vista is gone DUH) How?

is it by booting to recovery console and rebuilding boot.ini?? please help



second question

I have been trying to install a hard drive that I removed out of a working machine and It has xp installed in it

when I hooked it in a new machine I get to the (boot menu)and when I select xp

I do not go any where and the computer keeps displaying the boot menu over and over and over again

I am pretty sure it gor some thing to do with boot ini too

so here again

I took a hard drive from a working machine , installed it in a new machine that does not have a hard drive (I configured the bios to boot to hdd)

but I still get a boot menu that I used to get from the old machine?

what do I need to do to this hard drive to get the new computer to start from that hard drive that has xp installed already ?

sorry if this is too long

and thank You in advance.
Replacing a hard drive ?
you can edit the boot.ini file to change a boot menu that you see when the system boots (use notepad to edit, you will have to go to the properties of the boot.ini and remove the %26quot;Read Only%26quot; setting)



Ocean is correct on moving a hard drive from one system to another. I have recovered from this before when they systems are somewhat similar, but it requires a tremendous amount of driver installs for everything that is different (such as chipset drivers that aren't already loaded in the OS) but it will be a very unstable OS and will have problems (even if you can get it to run).



To set a drive up as a slave requires a jumper setting change---you can look up the correct setting, but really it's trial and error and you have to try different combinations (ie: cable select, then primary, secondary, etc. etc) to get it not only to boot, but for the system to see both drives once it boots
Replacing a hard drive ?
Due to the fact that the new tower has a different configuration (motherboard, video, audio, processor etc) than the old one, the existing install of XP won't work. You're only recourse is to format that HD and reinstall windows. If you have info on that old drive you need, put it into a working PC as a second hard drive and get your files that way. You will have do a search on how to set the old HD as a slave to be able to get to it to get your files off of it.