Saturday 4 June 2011

How do I change the bootloader?

I have been running Windows for a while, then I tried to install Linux onto an external hard drive. I tried two distributions (Ubuntu 8.04 and then Mepis (I think it was 2003)). As Ubuntu was installed, GRUB was too. The problem is that my system drive is a FAT32. GRUB won%26#039;t run off of a FAT32. I don%26#039;t want to reformat my system drive. All I want to do is change my bootloader back to boot.ini so I can boot Windows.


I have an Inspiron 2500 with Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 (even though I don%26#039;t think it is, anything online about the setup menu is different than the setup menu that I have).





If anyone knows how to change the bootloader, that would be great.|||If the hard drive with Linux is SATA, you can edit the boot.ini, and skip GRUB all together, but if you want to uninstall grub, obtain a Windows 98 start up floppy, or any other disk with fdisk on it, and run the command fdisk /mbr. What this does is restore the default boot manager, while removing grub at the same time. It worked for me perfectly. Hope that helps.|||I am not sure I got a firm grip on your problem but I know that with Vista as I rn it I can fix my boot system by putting my windows install dis in the drive and a choice there is fix boot, and it does.