Saturday 4 June 2011

How do I dual-boot Linux and windows using my Windows boot loader?

I%26#039;ve recently installed Windows XP Professional on my machine that%26#039;s been running Linux exclusively for about 2 months. The installation went without a hitch, but now I can%26#039;t boot Linux using the Windows bootloader.





I%26#039;ve seen tutorials that show you how to do it by reinstalling GRUB, but I don%26#039;t want to go through the trouble of running my LiveCD again. And besides, I sort of like the Windows bootloader because it gives you a 60-second delay for choosing your operating system. GRUB only gives you 2. (Yes, I hacked it to change the delay to 60 seconds. Don%26#039;t sue me.)





So, any ideas? I tried editing boot.ini to include the boot directory for my Kubuntu 6.10 OS, but with no luck. I tried accessing it and it threw me an error.





BTW, the directory I tried was multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\boot鈥?I%26#039;m pretty sure the partition is right, because it appears as /dev/hda1 on my partition editor, but i%26#039;m not sure which directory I should choose.





Can anyone help?|||check these 2 sites out:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntldr





http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Boot_f鈥?/a>





looks like it would be easier to put the disk in and edit grub.conf|||It wont work with the Windows boot loader, sorry. Windows is NOT %26quot;other OS friendly%26quot; like either Grub or Lilo is. To dual boot, you need to load Windows First, then modify the partitions with qparted, and load Kubuntu.


You see, Windows is UNABle to really do any repartitioning except at startup, (unless you have already made some unformatted partitions when you loaded Windows).


qparted (the open source partitioner with Kubuntu) , however, does a far better job of formatting than Windows. For example, Windows takes forever to reformat, and even then, does not do that good of a job.


My suggestion is that, either you dual boot, as above, or just forget Windows and use the Kubuntu. You will like it, you will get used to it and get comfortable. You will love that you dont even need antivirus software with Kubuntu, you will love that you dont need to defregment with K, and there is never a Reactivation Hassel with K!


There is some learning you need to do, but hang in there, its worth the switch. www.kubuntu.org