Saturday 4 June 2011

How do I edit Boot.ini properly?

I installed Windows a non-traditional way, I will explain:


My notebook has no CD/DVD functionality, I had to use a floppy to boot into MS-DOS (the only floppy i had kept failing to write over and over so I had to repair it with flobo about 9 times) So once I finally booted success with A:\ I did fdisk, now my hard drive has two partitions one is 2.5GB and the other is 25GB roughly.





I made partition 1 (2.5GB) active and format it as C: with system files for emergencies (I do not want to use a floppy again, I would rather boot dos from partition 1) then I reboot and removed the floppy.





C: drive booted into DOS from here I had already pre-loaded the WindowsXP files off of my CD onto partition 2 from another machine at an earlier time.





So I ran smartdrv.exe then changed directory to the winxp folder and went into i386 proceeding to run winnt, installing Windows XP to partition 2 (25GB) so I have DOS on partition 1, XP on partition 2. If XP fails I would like DOS to still be bootable, the Boot.ini is on partition 1 (2.5GB)


here is what i did, but this crashes and reboots when I select the DOS option.


[boot loader]


timeout=30


default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti鈥?br>

[operating systems]


multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\=%26quot;鈥?/noexecute=optin /fastdetect


multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WI鈥?Windows XP Professional%26quot; /noexecute=optin /fastdetect





This is not working, any ideas? I assume \=DOS means the root of C:\ is where the boot files are, is this incorrect? Thanks!|||W/o full lines it is tough to tell. This KB from Microsoft will give you a good idea of what it is about





http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022