Saturday 4 June 2011

Problems Booting XP Professional?

Recently I have been trying to remove a virus the regenerated on startup. Having done this before I knew I had to boot to safe mode in order to delete it so I tried that. I tried this but my computer failed to boot into any form of safe mode. First I would select it, then I would see the choice of operating systems and in the bottom left corner it would say safe mode then I would select XP Professional, a list of files would cascade down the screen then it would kick back to the dell logo screen at the begining of the boot sequence and ask me all over again how I wanted to boot.





To get around this I tried MSCONFIG and under general selected use original boot. That changed nothing so I went to BOOT.INI and under boot options selected/SAFEBOOT. This seems to have created a bigger problem then the original virus because it will not boot to windows under any boot option even last know good configuration.





Lastly I tried booting from CD, the repair option wouldn鈥檛 work so I tried the install (first option) and when it asked me to hit f8 to proceed it would do nothing. All I could do was hit ESC and exit the setup process.





I have no idea where to go from here or how I can undo the /SAFEBOOT option to load some form of windows. Any ideas???|||Download and burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD:





http://www.ubcd4win.com/|||boot from a knoppix CD, mount the hard drive, find the file, remove the file, then try to reboot in windows.. Make sure you UNMOUNT any drives before exiting knoppix though..|||Instead of F8, try F11 this time - that should get you to a Windows Repair boot.|||I would do a low level format on the drive first, and then install windows fresh.





If you have important files that weren%26#039;t backed up - then you might have to figure out a way to get them (make sure to carefully scan them before putting the virus back on the freshly loaded computer).





Good luck!